Tel : 01604 686272
Fax : 01604 686224
Lamport Hall was the home of the Isham family for over four centuries. During the time of the Commonwealth, the Hall was developed from a Tudor manor and is now best known for its classical frontage, started by John Webb in 1655 and completed in the 18th century to the design of Francis Smith of Warwick.
In addition to its fine rooms, including a superb library, the Hall contains a wealth of outstanding furniture, books and paintings collected by the Ishams, many during the third baronet's Grand Tour of Europe in the 1670s.
The Hall is set in tranquil gardens and a spacious park. Of the gardens originally laid out in 1655 by Gilbert Clarke, the surrounding banks and large wrought iron gates still remain. Near the gates are several sycamores and cedars which were planted in the 1820s by Mary Isham, a redoubtable Irish lady who did much of the planting in the surrounding parkland.
Sir Charles Isham, the son of Mary, inherited his mother's love of gardening. He is responsible for the present day appearance, with a small Italian garden and the remarkable rock garden built close to the Hall and rising like a ruin 24 feet tall. In the time of Sir Charles this was peopled by small figures, undoubtedly the first garden gnomes in England.
Private visits may be booked at any time by prior arrangement. Morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea or supper can be incorporated into your visit. Coach parties welcome. Booking details from the office.
Functions and Conferences
The Hall and grounds are available for wedding receptions, business meetings, conferences and corporate hospitality activity days, with excellent catering.
Free parking, picnic area, agricultural museum, home-made teas, gift shop, exhibitions, craft & antiques fairs and concerts. Disabled access to gardens, ground floor of house and toilets.
Opening Times :
Every Sunday and Bank Holiday from Easter to 1st October from 2.15pm till 5.15pm
Also open 21st and 22nd October
Monday to Saturday in August one tour only at 3.30pm.
Lamport Hall is situated on the A508 between Northampton and Market Harborough.